Friday, September 18, 2009

There is this house on the way to Arindam's place. It looks like a rath, no kidding. There is bright new yellow paint and purple borders and extra detailing on the latticework till it beams down on everyone walking along the road like a large eggyolk moulded into a cuboid. The colour is what does the trick, but so is the fact that every other building on the street has peeling paint and rusty bolts on it trying to look like it's not secretly appalled. All this ostentation.

Passersby stare at the building a lot, naturally, but what they don't know is that it comes alive at night, moves neatly out of the space it occupies like a book flying off a shelf, and goes up and down the street, imagine that. Maybe it acts like a video game, moves through the streets like in a maze it has to navigate. I want to communicate to the world how exactly a building going up and down a sleeping street at night is scary, like Pacman on a larger scale, but it's beyond me now so I'll talk about love, everyone does that so it must be safe.

The deal is, there's a reason Frank Sinatra's the patron saint of unrequited love, I forget who called him that first. With others I get the feeling like they've known love and lost it, and so they write a sad song because they've a right to it, who doesn't. A Leonard Cohen or a Billy Joel works that way and it's allright, but this guy, I get the feeling that he's never had the chance because he's always been a little too fond of being alone. I don't know why. There's a reason a Sinatra song goes I Get a Kick Out of You and sounds like the most heartbreaking thing I've ever heard. You don't get that all the time. You especially don't get it if he's thinking of making things go right, it's like he doesn't care except that at that point of time it's better than nothing to do. Even New York, New York, it's the happiest song in the world but there has to be a reason he's leaving. I don't know why this gets me all weepy but it does, just the fact that I can still want to philosophise about Something Stupid, bloody Something Stupid, which goes back a good seven years, hmm. I really need to find cooler things to talk about.

On a completely different note, behold my eloquence.

No comments: