Monday, November 2, 2009

I love it that my room has a large window, but it's supremely annoying that there are large windows all over the house, and what is infinitely worse is if you've parents who are morning people. If I crawl out of bed feeling like the world's just been born, everything cool and dim and dewy, I only have to walk out of my room to be assailed by brightness, you've no idea what degrees of brightness. It's like some paparazzi attack, every curtain in the house drawn back and all the world woken up and staring in. Here comes the Sun. I'll follow the Sun. Good day sunshine. Bumboils, all of it. Not one song helps. I hate mid-mornings with a hate reserved for very few things in my life, more so because I wake up to them nowadays.

I've spent the entire day feeling crabby and violated because Neighbour's Daughter waved at me and went all Hii and Wassup at nine in the morning when I was still half-asleep and muttering to myself. Bloody annoying kid, everyday she's at the table eating breakfast and waving her spoon at me when I'm trying to breathe in the aroma of tea. I'm gently willing myself to wake up, trying to ignore the light, moving towards zen, and then she says Wassup. Bumboils. I've no idea what she's seen me doing every morning, by the time I've woken up after two gulps of tea I generally have no recollection of whether I was yawning or making faces or scratching my bum in the kitchen, and all the while she's been staring. Pest. And she has such strange friends too, turned up in college one day and went all Hii and Wassup again and I nearly died. I was on the ledge but it was like I was back in my kitchen pajamaed and crusty-eyed all over again, surrounded by steel and morning breath, last night's anti-acne cream still on day-before-yesterday's zit. And I'm chewing absent-mindedly on a strand of hair while the water boils, oh god, and just at the wrong moment I get the Hii didiiii thing, and it's too far off to fling anything, besides you don't do it to your neighbours. And definitely not at uni, so I recovered and Wassupped her back, but bumboils all the same.

Lack of incentive is going to be the death of me. I'd like to carefully observe her and wait for the time when she's doing something personal and rip her privacy by yelling through a loudspeaker or something, but no. It's sad all right, but I usually tend to let go of hard feelings in the loo right after the tea, so nothing much remains. What a sentence.

5 comments:

Safdar said...

i saw the girl.weird friends, all right.

Sahana said...

What a delightful word, bumboils.

And happy people in the morning piss me off. I have two of them in my room .(Okay, they're not actually happy, they just have class at eight, but does that make bucket-clattering-noises and 6am alarms acceptable? NO IT DOES NOT, NO SIR.)

Priyanka said...

yup, to both.

Sroyon said...

The rare moments of discord in the otherwise harmonious friendship between me and Anuj occurred when I would occupy a loo cubicle next to his and make cheerful early-morning conversation.

Priyanka said...

Dear lord. I'm surprised he didn't throttle you in the dead of night.