Monday, March 1, 2010

but really she was ugly I'm telling you I swear

Part One.

For every person I spot with sunglasses and sweat on their face I smirk and think, haha, Loser. There are twenty thousand bags floating around in this market, some weighed down by glittering shoes and clothes you'd get for much cheaper if the sellers weren't so cocky, but it is an undeniable fact, everyone floats. Everyone has lighter wallets and lighter minds and they'd lift off the road if the bags didn't weigh them down, but that's just an illusion, the bags float too. The only reason I see her is because she isn't floating, her hands are bare and her neck is too, and she gets into an auto as if she needs nothing at all. Then she goes away.

But that isn't the point.

Part Two.

For every person I see ordering dessert even after they've belched twice I snort and think, haha, Loser. Then I see her again, sitting unadorned and devoid of fork or spoon, drinking coffee like her bare neck will thrust back and eject her head right off her body if she doesn't swallow all of it at a gulp. She has a foamy chocolate moustache once she's done and I'm timing her to see how long before she realises and licks it off. Maybe it'll get disappointing, maybe she'll pick up a napkin and dab at it, delicately and diligently till it decides to stick to the cloth instead. Then, as it turns out, she looks up and he walks over and laughs and wipes it off with the back of his hand. She still looks as if she needs nothing, she'd order another cup if he weren't there, but it's an undeniable fact, there he is.

That is the point.

2 comments:

Meghana Naidu said...

i think i write my own story, in your words.
i like the fact though; that she drinks coffee, and that he is.

also this reminds me of this
http://www.seriouslyhilary.com/html/paintings/23.htm

Priyanka said...

Dammit. Always there are mindtwins.