Sunday, June 6, 2010

Had a perfect Pinch Me kind of day. Like in the song. On an evening such as this, it's hard to tell if I exist. Like that. Because it rained the sky went mellow and everything looked like it had a vintage filter added onto high contrast, it's tragic this is the only analogy I can come up with but it will have to do. Made one think, all the strange hazy yellowness. Mostly of words, because after all the vintageness the evening gave way to something best defined by darkling; I was reminded of watching an electric tower from my old terrace, on evenings like this I'd be up there dragging bricks around on the floor making rusty floor plans and maps and things. Then I went home and overdosed on nostalgia. There was crackly old music on, then my shuffle played Guilty and there was more crackling and this overwhelming feeling of being weighed down by things, a heavy head and all the oldness of having lived during times that had things like film cameras and water coolers and cassettes. I miss cassettes, I miss winding and unwinding them. Then I decided to clean a little and came upon this book I looked at a lot as a kid, this photography catalogue for some competition themed "What Is Knowledge?", and as sanctimonious as the title sounds, it has some of my favourite photographs ever, grainy nineties images of people with shiny skin and sun spots on landscapes and slight shakiness towards the edges, I miss the shakiness too.

At dinnertime my mum was watching Dil Toh Pagal Hai on some channel, it reminded me of the time I was freezing my ass off at Kedarnath, '97 or '98, and was asked to wipe some spilt tea on the bed with a newspaper, but I refused to because it had a picture from the movie in it. Not only did I refuse, I jumped up and down saying "AAMAR SHAH RUKH AAMAR SHAH RUKH". It's profusely embarrassing now that I've rewatched bits of the movie but not so much, all things go.

Yeah, so all sorts of funny things are happening all around, but a good kind of funny, a steady comforting kind of funny. Like in the song, I could leave but I'll just stay. Aami ekta joyant. I'll topple over and chuckle myself silly any second.

5 comments:

Sambit said...

"What is Knowledge?"
seriously?

Aamar Shah Rukh.
you know, i can picture that.
quite clearly.

Anushka said...

'Aamar Shah Rukh' :)

And I swear I'd NEVER seen the sky like it was yesterday. I mean Never. I tried taking a picture but some things can't be captured by camera. Maybe you could. Dunno.

desk said...

The sky yesterday was Neverland. It was ooh and aah. =) also "AAMAR SHaHRUKH"- so switt!

Choi.

Shrabasti Banerjee said...

The sky was eclipse-ish yesterday. And you should write posts like this more often. They are comforting in a strange way. :)

Annesha said...

Dil toh pagal hai was my first movie in a cinema hall. Very fond memories I haves of it. =) Do you remember Dance of Envy???