Tuesday, August 17, 2010

My two favourite cassettes to play all day when I was a kid were Teesri Manzil and Caravan; I knew the lyrics to every song and had watched the movies at least twice, and Caravan in particular was the kind of world I always wanted to live in. Happy bubble orange yellow sequinned clothes, you know, and feathers in your hair and general mayhem rounded off with campfires and dancing, that kind of world.

So I had this starved visual wackiness mood going all evening and YouTubed all my favourite seventies Bollywood songs. I can tell some things are wrong (and even depraved, sirs) because I've been exposed to feminism and colour palettes and shit, but so much more is awesome.

- Like Rajesh Khanna growling. Growling.

- Or people dancing with featherdusters. Also this song with the line sunta hai re babua, tu hi mera nahua.

- Or harem pants plus roller skates. How farsighted is that.

- Helennn. (Again Caravan, but seriously, this movie's the shit.)

- (Inexplicable)

- And spiky disco balls.

- Plus two from the sixties. Giant paintbrushes and flamenco dancers versus that thing in Asha Parekh's hair.


These are the ones I remember. Of course bethlovesbollywood has a much crazier archive, I just wanted these at hand for later, later as in hah, you'll never know when I've been watching these later.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can totally imagine you in a hostile cabaret situation XD

D said...

Because this - song plus video - is not to be missed.

D said...

Also, you will let me know if you find .mp3 version of "Chandua ke didi ab shaadi karle", won't you?

Nayantara said...

What about "Mummy, O Mummy, tu kab saas banegi?" Please do the needful Pratibha dear.

Priyanka said...

More YouTubing. Joy.