Thursday, October 28, 2010

What cost happiness? I really miss having a music player. It pierced me the deepest this morning sitting bang in the middle of a swank deserted street somewhere in Sector5 at five thirty, shivering with excitement at the fact that it finally felt like October right then, dry leaves and a tepid chilliness, the works. I had Soham's iPod on and found a lot of old early morning music, it made me weary of having to switch my computer on every morning and getting through startup. No more Walkmen, and my iPod might never be resurrected so maybe I should get myself a new one? This is a good thing, I think, to be able to watch things happen with a soundtrack that sticks because they pierce you deep, the songs (like all things you miss without validation), even if it's just a pack of dogs sniffing each others' bottoms down the road at this particular moment.

Here's a chronological list of what I heard twice over in the one hour spent waiting for the unit to arrive: CSNY - Suite: Judy Blue Eyes, Ben E.King - Stand By Me, Eddie Cochran - Summertime Blues, Otis Redding - Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay, Prince - Little Red Corvette, The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again. Alphabetically too, you can see I worked my way down a playlist. I think it was mostly stuff from that 500 greatest songs of all time list, I played the Redding one extra time not because I love him, even though I do, but because it felt curiously pleasantly painfully apt. Sitting in the morning sun, I'll be sitting when the evening comes. I'll beat the lot of you at being placid on mornings like this.

No comments: