Saturday, February 26, 2011

Been listening to Scott Joplin all morning, the cumulative result of a posted link on my wall and a sudden desire to not hear a human voice till noon maybe. I remember this set of picture books I had as a kid about four bears who lived together, one of them was called Ragtime and had a banjo and patchwork trousers. It was a prettily drawn bear in a prettily drawn book, one of those things you keep opening to look at long after you know the story by heart, like Half Magic. Only I can't remember what the books were called now. There was also a tiny square one about a red overalled child befriending a panda with these Chinese-style illustrations, lots of bamboo, and one of folk tales from Rajasthan with ornate looking people and another one of Ukrainian folktales, where did all of these go? I should really go out for a bit. Take a bath take a bus go to Adam's and eat six plates of kebab maybe.

10 comments:

D said...

The fourbear books came in a little briefcase painted to match covers. That set and another one about a mouse family moving house. Mice with names like Ikkun, Natchan, Gokkun and faces to match.

Sigh.

D said...

=)

R said...

I had that book! I remember the ending picture being something about the bear on the moon.

The Reluctant Rebel said...

Is this heavenly sounding Adam's in cal?

Shrabasti Banerjee said...

Tatty Ted! I had them too.

Shrabasti Banerjee said...

And is Adam's the place with beef flavoured butter? :D

Annesha said...

I have those books too. If you want, etc. :)

Anonymous said...

I had them too :D

Sarbajaya said...

Half Magic.
yes.
What lovely pictures.

Priyanka said...

@ deboleena: THANKYOU.