Sunday, May 22, 2011

30 Day Book Challenge, Day One

Day One: The Best Book You Read Last Year:


I can't explain why exactly I loved this so much, maybe because it's about old people. I love old people. And little children. I love the fact that they're unafraid to be brutally honest about the world, it's like they're one step closer to absolute wisdom when compared to the rest of us. Goes to prove we're born with it and die with it, only hindered somewhat in the middle by a compulsion to act like first-rate morons. This book has an exceedingly smart old lady in it and there are strange animals and buildings and lots of craziness and an inexplicable nuclear winter, but then Carrington wasn't exactly your standard Surrealist. What I love most about it is that it came to me at the right time, just when I needed to read something short and unconstrained. I haven't read as much as I'd wanted to since college started, I've become crabbier and intolerant and impatient and abandoned more books than I care to admit, but this one got me started on a reading spree all of last December and I'm grateful for that. My best read of last year is therefore a choice based purely on serendipity, but the best part is there's nothing you can do about it. So there, watch me grin.

*grins* 

5 comments:

CheshireCat said...

oooh.Can I borrow?
Also Colette,Colette, Colette.
*sulks*

P.S. Really looking forward to your meme, btw.

Sroyon said...

I'm glad you're doing this. I hope that despite the crabbiness and intolerance and impatience, you see it through.

Priyanka said...

Way to jinx it, people. I'm cheating already xD

Magically Bored said...

Wow, I absolutely LOVE that cover.

Priyanka said...

I bought it because of the cover =)