Friday, May 27, 2011

Day Five, Belated.

Day Five: A book that makes you happy, Or, Sohini already took Durrell.


From such a long time ago. The first Wodehouse I ever read. A friend of my mother's gifted it to me on my thirteenth or fourteenth birthday, and it's still my favourite book by him for purely sentimental reasons. I know every story in it by heart but I never talk about it and I never bring it up because I love what it's about so much - twelve vintage cases, as the cover says, of good eggs and decent chaps entangled in snares of young love. I still think Wodehouse does the best job, without hamming it, of making gawky love feel happy, no that's not the word, quietly joyous, and I can't help but appreciate that because it adds much to the moment whenever I pick it up. But this book isn't even completely about love; I keep getting the feeling it's more about those much-required instances, those I Feel Just Like a Child moments. So there, defeat awkwardness with maximum ridiculosity. This is where it all started.


3 comments:

R said...

Haha QC reference right there made me very happy. And this is one of my favourite books too. Discovered at brother of brother's friend's place. Yay for serendipity

Magically Bored said...

I have read this! Yaay for Wodehouse who makes all of life's problems go away.

CheshireCat said...

Ah, Wodehouse. I totally have Bijoymashi to thank for Wodehouse.
And also, Durrell.
<3.