Sunday, July 12, 2009

How come horror movies don't have toilet sequences? Fresh from a nightmare in the middle of the night, it is the most frightening thing in the world if you have a bursting bladder and can't bring yourself to walk out into a dark corridor to use the bathroom. And once you're in the bathroom after what seems like two light years, it seems the easiest thing in the world for pale hands to crawl up the pan while you're sitting on it. They could grab you in a clammy, smelly, vice-like grip, and then reach for the flush and suck you in with them, and no one would ever know, but it would be ghosts nevertheless. Or monsters. Or dead people.

If one takes for granted the fact that ghosts glide around elegantly and send you to your death in a mysterious, gruesome manner, one could also consider an undignified death, a bubbling toilet-flushing death. I mean, it's not like it's the ghosts that are made to look silly.

4 comments:

Anushka said...

Oh, one of my nightmare sequences is that I'm in the bathroom and there's an *insert relevant creepy crawley* on the door. So I can't get out.

Sroyon said...

I was crapping in hostel once when the water suddenly boiled and bubbled and lapped against my bum. I have rarely been so scared in my life. I thought a purple tentacle was going to curl around me and drag me down into the depths of its watery lair.

Turns out it was just a plumbing defect. They came and fixed it the next day.

cyber monkey said...

have you seen 'Dreamcatcher'? something reaches up from inside the toilet bowl and disembowels a guy.
*grin*

Priyanka said...

No, but I've read a third of that book and yes, the toilet sequence was a prominent part of that third.