Thursday, December 3, 2009

Besides coming across as always tipsy and saying something borderline hilarious every time I meet him, he looks like an owl. His son looks like a sparrow, and a really nervous one at that, so I'm guessing it doesn't run in the family. This man, my neighbour, he once had to face Puja's wrath in my balcony. She was yelling at some random guy for indeterminate reasons, and it was really late at night so she thought no one was around. Somewhere in the midst of all the profanity she was letting loose he popped up from behind his living room's curtains (it adjoins our balcony) and calmly said, whiskey glass in hand, thoda dheere se, beta.

He's always in unbuttoned shirts or open-necked garments, no tie, even with a blazer. That's how I noticed this funny scar-like thing on his chest just below his neck. It's brown and leathery and very intriguing because it's like a splotchy upside-down pentagon; almost makes him look like a middle-aged owlish superhero in disguise. I went the longest time without asking about it because it was nicer to come up with theories on my own, but after a year or so the tell-me-why tendency took over and I asked. This was right after the day in the elevator when he told me that Raymond Chandler was too fancy a name for someone who wrote badass detective novels. He always says things like that. So this time I waited for another epiphany, only he said, oh, it's a keloid.

A what?

A keloid, he said. It started out as a scar or something, and then he couldn't stop scratching it, and it grew and it spread...

Like a tumour? I was pretty excited by now.

Almost. But it's benign (Exit excitement, stage left). And it itches if it comes in contact with skin (Exit open shirt mystery, should have thought of this earlier).

Interesting enough?

Yes, I said, but I was just being polite. And that, to summarise, is why I don't like talking too much. Things of epic proportion are shaved down till they become keloids. What a term.

8 comments:

Annesha said...

Haha. Awwww. :)

Priyanka said...

Reality continues to ruin my life.

Sroyon said...

Your opening two sentences remind me of this Middle English poem Sujaan read out to me:
Quhilk is na mair lyke Virgill, dar I lay,
Na the owle resemblis the papyngay.
(Yes, this is the sort of thing I am routinely subjected to.)

storyteller said...

I love the header, your painting gives me the warmfuzzies :D

And the keloid sounds like something very disgusting.

Priyanka said...

sroyon, that wasn't even in the syllabus. shoot him.

shreya, thankses =)

Pratiti said...

Can you also tell when squares are upside down? Maney, just wondering.

Sroyon said...

...or (this should be easier) when a square is oriented so that one diagonal is horizontal?

Priyanka said...

pfft, there ain't nothing called an upside down square. what sroyon's talking about is a lopsided square.