Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Crane Wife by The Decemberists has one of my most favourite pieces of music ever. It's called The Island: Come and See/ The Landlord's Daughter/ You'll Not Feel The Drowning. I like everything about the song, the vocals and the arrangements but especially the last bit about the little ugly, in fact it's that bit that tips it for me mostly. I've owned a little ugly through different parts of my life, a stuffed green toy with goggly eyes, a lizard with a lumpy head, a really misshapen backpack, a velvet jungle-print teeshirt. I loved them beyond reason and logic and for the same reason that all little uglies are loved, so it makes me kind of sad. It's not like all little uglies have to go, there was a time I wanted to collect every one I could gather and keep them with me, be another Champion of Small Uglies, only in a different way. But things give out, now it's more of which of the uglies to keep and which to throw out because my world's no longer small enough to accommodate just a few. That's the melancholy bit. Otherwise, hey, I'm a little ugly too =)

3 comments:

Annesha said...

That only toh :) Im little little ugly too.

Priyanka said...

Konjum kutsheet. Yes.

Annesha said...

cut-sheet? Quite, yes.