Tuesday, March 30, 2010

So let's all be equal. We'll not wear different clothes, we'll wear our hair at identical lengths, we'll take turns cooking and cleaning and take turns being on top while having sex and teach our children the perils of objectifying and sexualising and stereotyping. We'll even bring them up to be on par at all times, play with toys take up sports pick a career, everything will be equalised. The girls will be told they need not read a romance, the boys will be told pin-ups aren't cool, they'll go places where masculine and feminine as terms will come with so much baggage they won't even use them. It'll be an equal world and it will be beautiful and everyone will tell each other what a fine equal unprejudiced society they've created. Till then I'll wear my laciest bra and admit to liking stubble, how about that.

It's like standing at a cigarette shop with a guy and the shopkeeper's offering him Sexygum and staring pointedly at me, it's happened to me twice, it might happen to me more. Just an example. The deal is, though, why view it as a struggle. I've enjoyed being a girl, I can take all the ruts that being feminine brings with it. I learnt to cook because I like food and I iron because I dislike wrinkles, I don't give a fuck if people assume it's because I'm female. I wouldn't give a fuck if they assumed I should do these things because I'm female either, it's not like I'm going to. That doesn't make me a feminist, just stubborn. If people are morons they're morons, you're expected to deal with them as you would with morons, whether they're being sexist or inhuman or kicking puppies doesn't matter. If I can survive the world as an ideology-less person it'll be a miracle, I'm really scared that I'll have to go around doing the My Name is Khan thing in a different context pretty soon.

In other news, Moriarty and TAAQ.

12 comments:

Pratiti said...

Why do you think feminism is about being identical? It's about being any bloody thing you want to be.

This is the first time an anti-feminist rant has made me smile.

But. All your rants do. You've got a way with ranting.

Priyanka said...

Not being identical, child. Equality.

Priyanka said...

But never mind, be any bloody thing you want to.

Pratiti said...

What went wrong with equality now?

rorschach said...

equality for groups historically unequal might turn out problematic don't you think ..equitability maybe??

either ways i dig "be any bloody thing you want to" ..good luck with that.

Soin said...

when people tell me that i should not cook because am a guy,it gets worse..free

senjuti. said...

I think I love you :)

Trisha said...

moriarty! i has jimmy on repeat since yesterday. whatabeautifulsong :)

CheshireCat said...

"If I can survive the world as an ideology-less person it'll be a miracle, I'm really scared that I'll have to go around doing the My Name is Khan thing in a different context pretty soon."
:D
Living with ideology is annoying. Like Howard Roark at seven in the morning. You just can't take it.

P.S. On a completely unrelated note, will borrow Fu-Manchu book.

Anushka said...

I love the post and the last comment. 'Like Howard Roark etc.'

Magically Bored said...

Love the post. Love cooking and ironing too, but that's another story. :P

Reeti said...

:) Well put. Especially the part about morons being morons. I couldn't agree more.