Sunday, August 1, 2010

I'm half-afraid of reading Villette again. I read it when I didn't understand most of it but even then it seemed so overwhelmingly mad in its despair. Also disjointed. Also whimsical. Wuthering Heights is mad in itself but it's the obvious kind of mad, it's dramatic and passionate and tempestous, yeah, but it could push itself into becoming cumbersome, or maybe that's just me. The quieter kind of mad is scarier, Villette scores there.

Earthsea will not get read. I'm not a good reader when it comes to long sea voyage descriptions and all this sailing's reminding me of Old Man and the Sea. I badly want to read something funny and decadent and utterly brainless. Auugh.

Must list:

The Pilo Family Circus
Toystories
Mango slaw! (Yes! Yes! Mango! Slaw!)
Bookshelf
Ghost

In spite of what I sound like, things are not what I sound like. Drift. Get. No? Double auugh.

4 comments:

WritingsForLife said...

The quieter kind of mad is scarier - true :-).

Anushka said...

I agree with your opinion of Wuthering Heights. Not that it isn't a masterpiece, but who says masterpieces can't be tedious to a degree? *cough cough Dickens cough cough*

Also, what you need now is Georgette Heyer. Have you read 'em all?

Priyanka said...

@ anushka: almost all. would you by any chance have Sylvester?

Arse Poetica said...

I have read and have (at least soft copies) of every fucking Georgette Heyer. Villette made me sick, it's so profoundly sad,maane it's sick sad, that sort of sadness just should NOT BE. Ok 'nuff said.
Bye, and ask me for books if you want.